Shift Happens

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Google Docs

After exploring some of the different available features on Google Docs such as the Google Calendar, iGoogle, Picasa, and Knol, I believe it would be very helpful in the classroom. The calendar could be extremely helpful because it allows you to put any necessary information on it or create an event. It also allows you to print it off, so in a sense, you can create your own calendar.

The iGoogle allows you to customize your Google homepage. You can add games, access your Gmail account, The piece I found most interesting was the that it allows you to personalize the banner on top of the Google homepage. I have never done that on any other website before. I was also able to set up a St. Cloud weather forecast on my homepage, so I will be aware of the current temperature before I even step outside my apartment.

The Knol could also be useful for teachers who have a lesson plan written up, because it allows you to share the information you have with the world. You can read, review or even write your own Knol. There are a wide variety of topics already on there, so it could also be used as a resource for a research project or an in class discussion.

The Picasa is an easy to use and free resource that allows you to organize, find, create, edit, and share your photos online. Personally, I see that as more of a social networking piece, but it could also be used for classroom purposes like creating a self portrait or a slide show for class.

Overall, I think the Google Docs can and will be very beneficial for my class because who knows what type of presentations I will be using in the near future. They may all come in handy someday and it's to my advantage to be able to use all the different Docs that Google features.

1 comment: